Focus represents a currency of mental strength which each player has in varying amounts. Focus can be spent anytime the player is presented with an option to make a skill roll to ensure the success of a single slot and multiple focus points may be spent on an action for increased odds of success. Focus is spent by Right Clicking on an action button or the X Button on a controller. Focusing an attack in combat will also give the player a boast to accuracy as an added bonus. The player may also spend focus on fleeing or defending. Occasionally a skill roll is unfocusable while Luck rolls can never be focused. During the movement phase Focus can be exchanged directly for Action Points allowing for more options while traveling. Focus can be in short supply and to replenish will require the aid of an Inn, Safe Camp or other Consumables. Learning to balance the use of focus will often mean the difference between life and death.
- Max Focus is limited to 9. You cannot gain more than 9 focus from equipment and other sources. However, You can swap items between characters and equip them just before using Meditation or other focus restoring options to boost the restored focus and instantly convert it into Movement points(which are also limited to 9).
Focus is one of the fundamental mechanic Concepts of For The King. Throughout an adventure every character has a number of Focus Points that can be used in a variety of ways, always to the benefit of the character using them.
Most characters begin with a total of 4 max focus points, which can be used both in and out of combat throughout their adventure. Various events and items can grant a character a temporary increase (usually until a piece of equipment is removed) or permanent increase to the maximum focus points a character will have. Increasing max focus will not fill the focus points that that character has lost.
Ways to use Focus Points
- Additional Movement Points
- Positive attacks in Combat
- Interactions with challenges and random events (unless they require Luck)
- Unlocking Treasure & Trinkets
- Disarming or evading traps
Ways to recover Focus Points
- In a Town, or in a friendly encampment:
- "Inn" service - ends turn and restores a small amount of focus and HP
- "Meditation" service - restores full Focus and doesn't end turn
- The Dark Carnival may have an option to fully restore the party's HP and focus
- Monuments and Sanctums may grant partial or full focus point recovery depending on their effect
- The Refocus ability, which gives a character a chance to regain a focus point at the end of their turn
- Leveling up will always grant a character a partial or full recovery of focus points depending on difficulty level and how much their max focus is
- Consuming some items, such as the herb Golden Root and other special consumables, will recover focus based on the character's pipe level
- Some weapons, such as the Ukulele/Great Water Tome have the Party Calm/Party Calm III ability, which restores 2/3 focus to all members during battle after a perfect roll.
Filling a roll slot with focus not only guarantees that roll will be successful, but also increases the odds that any subsequent rolls will be successful (increases roll accuracy). Both of these factors increase the odds of an action rolling perfectly. Filling all roll slots using focus guarantees that an attack or ability will succeed and trigger any effects that occur on perfection (barring the target evading it).
|Slots Filled With Focus||Accuracy Bonus To Subsequent Rolls|